School Counsellor

Hi, my name is Clare and I’m the School Counsellor. I am a Play and Creative Arts Therapist and also have training in family therapy, therapeutic parenting and somatic therapy (how your body holds on to trauma even when the threat, danger and trauma is over). I like to take a holistic approach to working with children, this means thinking about the whole child, every part of their life and their most important relationships. This may mean I will want to spend some time with you, thinking about how to support you as parents cope with your children’s needs. We all carry our own stuff / history around with us and this can seep into our relationships, work life and daily interactions. I will offer a non-judgemental and accepting space for us to think about this together.

What will happen if my child needs or wants to see the school counsellor?

Whichever member of staff has made the referral will get your verbal consent to do so. Your child will be placed on a waiting list and when space becomes available, I will get in touch to arrange to meet with you. This meeting will last anywhere between 50 to 90 minutes. This is an opportunity for me to hear about your family’s experiences and gain a fuller picture of your child’s and your own needs. You can then ask me any questions about therapy and together we’ll create a plan for the work. If you are in agreement, I will ask that you sign a consent form. I will then meet your child and set up weekly therapy sessions. It will be important for you and I to communicate closely so I can support you at home but also so that I can gain a full picture of what is happening for your child outside of school too. Below is a leaflet which helps explain about more therapy in school.

Parent leaflet - School Counsellor

How will I know if my child needs support?

There could be many different behaviours that tell us your child is struggling and in need of additional support. All behaviour is communication.

You child may be struggling with:

  • Social activities
  • Attending school
  • Their learning
  • Sleeping
  • Eating
  • Self-hurting / self-harming behaviours
  • Risk taking which is outside their developmental norms
  • Sexually harmful behaviour
  • Addictive and compulsive behaviours
  • Anxiety, panic attacks
  • Managing boundaries
  • Aggressive behaviours
  • Withdrawn and passive behaviours

How can school help?

In school we have an array of professionals who can support you make sense of behaviours that may be causing you worry. Try talking to the Head of Year or a member of the Safeguarding team.

If you have concerns about your child accessing the curriculum or requiring additional support for their learning or wellbeing you can request a meeting with the Special Educational Needs Team/Mrs J Travis (SENCo).

Where else can I go for support?

  • If you have any worries about your child you may want to consult your GP
  • You may want to refer yourself to Salford’s Early Help Team, you can find information Early help for families • Salford City Council or you can call them 0161 686 7235

You can also get support for your children and yourself from other places outside of the NHS and Salford Council:

For more information, visit the Salford City Council website which lists huge amounts of services, they have been listed for specific concerns to make it easy to find your who is best placed to support you and your child- Emotional health and wellbeing • Salford City Council